This Notice of Consultation informs all Telecommunication Service Providers, Users, concerned stakeholders and interested parties that the Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) is conducting a consultation aimed at reviewing the current licensing Framework.
POTRAZ intends to review the current service-specific telecommunications licensing framework with a view to developing and ultimately implementing a Converged Licensing Framework. The proposed review is in keeping with the Authority’s statutory mandate to promote the development of the postal and telecommunications sectors in Zimbabwe in line with technological advances and evolving consumer needs.
The objectives of the review are to;
- Create a framework which is future proof (relevant for the next 20 years at least) and allows the sector to embrace the benefits offered by cutting edge technologies such as next generation networks (NGNs);
- Ensure a strong sector growth anchored on innovation, fair competition, affordability and good quality of services;
- Encourage free growth of new applications and services leveraging on the technological developments in the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) area;
- Simplify licensing and enforcement procedures in the telecommunications sector;
- Ensure flexibility and efficient utilisation of Spectrum and Numbering resources taking into account technological developments in the sector and the need to maintain a level playing field.
INVITATION TO MAKE SUBMISSIONS
Submissions are invited from interested parties who would want to render assistance in shaping the future of telecommunications in Zimbabwe. A baseline consultation document has been developed and is downloadable from the POTRAZ website.
For Written Submissions kindly use the following address:
The Director General
Bock “A” , Emerald Business Park
30 The Chase, P.O. Box MP 843,
Submissions should reach POTRAZ by 17:00 on 26 November 2015.
POTRAZ has the discretion to consider late submissions.
DOWNLOAD THE CONSULTATION PAPER HERE (PDF)