The Postal and Telecommunications Act [Chapter 12:05] mandates the Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) to do Type Approval and Certification of all telecommunication end user equipment and certify interoperability and compliance to Technical, Health and Safety, and Electromagnetic Radiation Emission standards.
Type Certification of equipment is the confirmation that the equipment meets the stated requisite conditions normally by the use of documentary evidence such as test reports attesting to this fact the equipment is in conformity with international standards. If the conformity assessment result is a pass, POTRAZ will issue a certificate for the equipment.
Type Approval of equipment is a process of testing a device to determine its compliance to regulatory requirements before it is allowed into the market.
Who Need To do Type Approval?
Individuals importing telecommunications or radio communications equipment into the country, Manufacturers or Agents/Dealers intending to market telecommunications or Radio communications equipment in Zimbabwe are allowed to approach the Authority for type approval.
Telecommunications or Radiocommunications Dealers or their agents are required to have a Telecommunications /Radiocommunications Equipment Dealership Licence before allowed to import and sell communications equipment. The Authority will not issue Type Approval to Dealers unless they meet mandatory licensing requirements.
Type approval is not required if the model has previously been type approved for marketing by another vendor/dealer.
Purpose of Type Approval / Conformity Assessment
The purpose of type approval or conformity assessment is mainly for four reasons namely:
- Protection of Consumer against electromagnetic radiation from communications equipment. All devices have to meet minimum Health and Safety Requirements. Electromagnetic emissions should be within International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) guidelines.
- Environmental safety
- Equipment needs to meet specifications for interoperability purposes and to minimise network disruption.
- Conformity to the Zimbabwe National Frequency Allocation Plan (ZNFAP).
Categories of Equipment to be Type Approved
- All telecommunications terminal equipment intended to be connected to the wired networks of public telecommunications network is subject to type approval by the Authority. Examples of the said terminal equipment include but are not limited to: –
- Public Branch Exchanges (PABX) and Telephones handsets
- Telephone answering and recording systems
- Facsimile transceivers
- Call routing apparatus
- All Radio frequency transmitting equipment including but are not limited to: –
- Short range Wi-Fi Devices
- Amateur band Radios
- Two way HF/VHF/UHF Radios
- Microwave Radios
- Radio paging terminals and transmitters
- Alarm transmitters
- Satellite Transmitters
Requirements & Procedure
Applicants are required to apply for type approval in writing to the Director General and the applicant is required to submit the following documents attached to the application letter:
- Completed type approval application form
- Copy of Dealership licence (Dealers only)
- Technical specifications and user or operations manuals in English
- Copies of test report from manufacturer or an accredited laboratory.
- Certification from Regional Authorities where the device has been type approved (if any)
At times a sample of the equipment may be required together with other requirements which vary depending on the type of terminal equipment for which they are seeking type approval. The device may not be returned.
Where applicable, laboratory tests shall be carried out on the terminal. The test results obtained are used together with the submitted manufacturer’s test report and technical documentation to evaluate the equipment. Type approval is done only once for every model of equipment.
Type Approval Fees
USD500 per model before 15% VAT (before VAT)